Experience a sports medicine surgery LIVE from The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH. Join the Operating Room team as they perform one of several surgeries to repair a(n) ACL, MCL, Rotator cuff, ankle or hand. When the injury occurs, the surgery often needs to happen now! Discover what surgery you will view as we connect live to the hospital. Get the inside view from the arthroscopic video feed to back table as your students ask questions to the surgeon and OR team.
With the included kit of materials, you can extend the discussion beyond the videoconference. Activities include:
- $1000 Egg Drop: Conduct experiments using your smart phone to test how padding changes the amount of force applied to an object.
- Bend and Snap: Test your own flexibility as you learn real world kinesiology techniques.
- Sprains and Strains: Learn the proper techniques to wrap some of the most common injury areas and experience what a proper wrap should support.
- Simulated surgery: Build and conduct a simulation of an arthroscopic surgery to get a real world feel of the challenges of working in delicate environments.
- Pain Medication Case Study: Research the dangers of pain medication addiction and apply your findings to a challenging case study.